I forgot how much I like rhubarb

So, last week I posted a recipe from a recent cooking class hosted by Chef Kate Bradley. She did a demo at my local library a couple months ago and I'm excited to be going to another of her demo/classes this week. This one will focus on soup and I'm excited. I LOVE making soups.

Also, in looking back at the recipes from her last demo, she had one that at first didn't look or sound appealing to me, but once I tried it, I loved it! It was Rhubarb Chutney.


So, here were her instructions:
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 c. finely chopped rhubarb
1/2 c. raisins
1/2 diced apple
1/2 c cider vinegar
1 tsp. ground allspice
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. cloves
9 oz. cream cheese, softened
1tbsp. milk
4 green onions, thinly sliced
1/2 c. dry roasted peanuts, chopped
crackers

1) Combine the brown sugar, rhubarb, raisins, apples, vinegar and spices in a medium sauce pan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring once in a while.  Reduce heat. Simmer uncovered for 35 minutes or until thickened. Cool. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
2) In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and milk together until smooth. Spread onto a plate or platter with a lip on it. Spread the chutney over the cream cheese. Top with onions and peanuts. Serve with crackers.

I've honestly never made anything with rhubarb. At least not in a couple decades.

Comments