Farewell summer!

Well, I was out of town over the weekend, but I heard we were going to be below freezing level. That does not make me a happy camper. I guess I'm getting old because I'm thinking I wouldn't mind living somewhere where I could wear capris and flip flops year round. I'm not fond of cold weather, but in Chicago, you just have to deal with it. The garden was cleared out recently, the plants emptied of all the remaining tomatoes and peppers. So sad to see them go! I also got one last stop in at the Farmer's Market - this is what I got for about $12:

Some juicy grapes, two peppers, a zucchini, three onions, four pierogi, a red velvet cupcake and a loaf of what I was told was cheddar dill bread. Not sure if he got mixed up, but I didn't detect even a hint of cheddar and while there was seasoning in it, it didn't taste like dill to me. It was bitter and I ended up pitching most of the loaf to the birds. That part has a sad ending. :(

But here's the happy ending. Although it wasn't a wonderful year for the garden, it finished off nicely.


Comments