Recipes: Easy Empanadas

I thought I'd share a delicious recipe I've used a few times. It was from a cooking class I took several years ago. The ingredients are simple and you can really put any type of filling inside an empanda. I want to experiment with some other fillings and will share my experiments! :)
This empanada started with ground beef and a yellow onion, browned together, adding a diced green pepper to cook a few minutes, and then drained. Then I added a can of diced tomatoes, chili powder (1 tbsp), cumin, salt (1 tsp each) and pepper (1/2 tsp) and simmered for 15 minutes. You can see all the ingredients in the above skillet. Yum!
Then I put the filling into a refrigerated pie crust, folded it over and crimped it. One crust with filling is enough to feed two small appetites I would say (add some sides, like I did of Caesar salad and spanish rice). The final step was the brush them with egg whites and put in a 400 degree oven for about 15 minutes or until golden brown (the recipe called for 20 minutes, but I find that to be a bit too long, at least for my oven).

Comments