Be creative with tostadas

I like tostadas for the same reason I love open faced sandwiches. Although they're a bit messy, they are appealing to the eye. I like to get a look at what's on there, rather than having it covered with bread.

With a corn tortilla as a base, there's so much you can do with it. With a smear of cream cheese and a pile of raw veggies and cheese, you can blend many flavors and have a nice crunch to balance it out. Most often, I put meat on top when I make them. A thin layer of refried beans helps your toppings stick. Ground beef, boiled chicken, pulled pork are all great options for meats. This picture shows shredded barbecue pork. I love to add scallions, shredded carrots and tomatoes to top it off. And don't forget the cheese....even better if you top the meat with cheese, pop it in the broiler to melt and then add your cold veggies on top.


Comments