The $20 Challenge: Week Two

I stopped to do my $20 challenge today. I didn't spend quite that much at the farm stand because I'd been at Aldi the day before and got a few things. So, the farm stand total today was $12.48. The Aldi produce items I got yesterday were just under $7, so here's what I got this week for about $19, a total of 14 items:

Broccoli
Golden delicous apple
Fuji apple
Red pepper
Green pepper
Mushrooms
Bartlett pear
Cucumber
Red seedless grapes
Pretzel rolls
Bananas
Raspberries
Spinach
Butter lettuce salad mix (I forgot to throw that on in the photo)



So, I'm trying to work more fruits and veggies into the kids snacks/lunches I pack for the kids, hence the grapes, apples, pear, raspberries and bananas. I got a couple boxes of clementines a couple weeks ago that are still good and have some canned fruits for when those run out.

I'm also making salads the regular lunch for myself and my husband on his days off - and packing him more salads for his work days. I still have arugula, grape tomatoes and some lettuce mix from last week to use up along with the salad mix and spinach and cucumber and whatever else is in the fridge. I'm really getting to like nuts in my salads and also like to add a boiled egg, a little shredded or crumbled cheese or a little bit of sliced lunch meat or bacon. A little protein helps it stick a little more so that you're not hungry a half-hour after eating.

Hubby used the grill a few days ago and made several marinated chicken breasts. Yesterday, I cut one up for our salad. I'll do the same tomorrow and will maybe use a little more chicken for some sandwiches on those delicious pretzel rolls. Also, most nights, I balance out the meals - a meat, a starch and a veggie. However, the kids often don't eat the veggies I make....but although they don't like cooked broccoli or carrots, they like raw broccoli and carrots, so I'm going to start offering some raw veggies with dinner. Oh, and last week I grabbed a couple packs of sliced steak for fajitas. The expiration date was just a day away, so they were marked down to $2 a pack. I put them in the freezer and will pull them out and use the red and green pepper and the onion I bought last week and haven't used yet and make some fajitas for lunch or dinner.








Comments