From one Weber to another

We have never owned anything other than a Weber grill. For a wedding gift, our best man's parents got us a Charcoal Weber and we used it for about a dozen years until we decided to upgrade to a propane grill. About 8 or 9 years ago, I got this Weber for my husband for Father's Day. It has served us well since that time. A few pieces are wearing out and need to be replaced, but mostly we have outgrown the grill.

With five sons (two of whom are teenagers), it takes a lot of food to feed our family. And often when we cook dinner, I plan on extras so that my husband and son have something to take to work for lunch the following day. It had gotten to the point that we had to cook the meats in two shifts because all the meat wouldn't fit on there at once. Then if you also wanted to have veggies, you had to do that after the meat was done. It was taking a lot of time and steps to get dinner on the table. We knew we'd need a bigger one. However, we weren't sure a bigger Weber would be in the budget. We thought we'd probably have to nurse this one along for one more season.


Then on a recent trip up to my sister's place as she was setting up for an estate sale in preparation for her move to Arizona, I asked if they were selling their grill - with a nice big cooking surface, underneath storage and a side burner.

 They had offered it to the buyer of the home, but were waiting for a response. If they buyers didn't want it, they said they'd sell it for $250. So, I crossed my fingers that the buyers weren't interested and my wish came true. I knew that if were were to buy a new Weber the size of what she had, we'd be well over $1,000. The size was perfect and I'd always wanted a side burner in case I wanted to warm some veggies, boil some water or melt some butter.

Also, this was a natural gas grill. My father-in-law has a natural gas grill and hubby has always wanted one, but he knew it would be a big job running a gas line out to our garage, which isn't attached to the house and is at the back of our yard. The project proved more intense and expensive than he initially thought. He at first figured on the project running him about $150 - $200. It ended up being $400. But that's still way less than if he'd had it professionally installed. And when you add the grill cost and gas line, which totaled about $650, it's still a lot less than a new grill would have been. This one is a few years old, but in good shape. We might have to replace a couple parts this summer, but we would have also been doing that on our propane one. We made two meals on it this week - hot dogs and bratwurst the first night and pork chops and sweet corn the next.


Now if I can just get hubby to find a new parking place for his riding mover so that I have some room on the patio for some new outdoor furniture, I'll be a really happy camper! :)



Comments

  1. Congratulations on your new purchase! That is definitely a beautiful grill that you got for a steal. Not to mention I am pretty sure natural gas is quite a bit cheaper than propane, which in the long run will probably save you even more money! I definitely want to be able to hook my grill up to a gas line just to avoid having to go out and fill up propane tanks.

    Happy Blogging!
    Happy Valley Chow

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment