Feasting time

The Thanksgiving family feast is something I look forward to all year. Like most families, we have some dishes that have to be on the table for it to feel complete. Everyone has their favorite item.

So, here's what's on the plate, going clockwise, starting at the cornbread.

1. Cheesy cornbread - this is made by my sister-in-law. I'll try to get the recipe from her to post later, but it is pretty simple.

2) Honey baked ham.

3) Steamed broccoli with shredded cheddar on top.

4) Sweet corn

5) Mashed potatoes with gravy.

6) Turkey with gravy.

7) Stuffing that I made this year. Not as good as Mom's, but still good.

8) Green bean casserole.

9) Noodles and gravy. This is a favorite of mine. I don't know why I don't make it other times of the year. It's simply Reams brand frozen egg noodles. Rather than boiling in water, I boil in chicken broth. Then when it's done, add gravy and stir it all together. Then a little more gravy on top. :)

10) Macaroni and cheese. For the past several years I've done a mac and cheese casserole, but since mom and dad don't really cook anymore, Dad usually offers to stop at Cracker Barrel and pick up a pan of mac and cheese, which is totally fine with me. Honestly, theirs is better than mine. :)

Additional items that we had that aren't on this plate are spinach salad with poppyseed dressing, Hawiian salad, dinner rolls, sweet potatoes and two kinds of cranberry sauce and another batch of cornbread.


Before dinner, there were munchies -- beer bread with spinach dip, bagel chips and garlic dip, Chex mix, a couple bowls of nuts, chili cheese dip and tortilla chips, summer sausage, cheese and crackers, tomato/mozzarella/basil bites.

Beverages were egg nog, apple cider, sparkling cider, pop, wine and beer.

Desserts were pumpkin pie, apple pie, plain cheesecake (with topping to add - M & M's and chocolate syrup), cherry cheesecake, peppermint ice cream and brownies.

I feel like I need to unbutton my pants recalling it all. What was your favorite goodie from your Thanksgiving meal?

Comments