Wildfire: Oak Brook, Illinois

This past week, my husband and I went to one of my favorite spots, Wildfire, in Oak Brook as a belated birthday dinner. My husband's birthday was just before Christmas, so naturally he always gets neglected during the busy Christmas season. Well, then we decided we'd go after New Year's. Then we had a blizzard. Then we had temperatures of -40 below with the wind chill. Then I got sick. And finally, we made it there.

It's always a lovely treat to go there. I know I won't be disappointed. Our meal started off with cornbread that was dense, but soft and full of kernels.


Before we headed there, I told myself I wasn't going to order an appetizer or dessert. I didn't want to over do it. But, well, we were both really hungry when we got there and were taking our time looking over the menu, so we decided we'd order the jumbo shrimp cocktail while we made up our mind. If there's an appropriate place to go overboard, this would definitely be one. The shrimp was superb. I could have simply made a meal of that, but there was more to come. Much more.


Hubby ordered the French Onion Soup, which I had to sample. It was outstanding!


I opted for a salad - golden beet and goat cheese with almonds. It. Was. Heavenly.



Then the main entree - for me it was a petite filet with the red-skinned mashed potatoes. The steaks there are always perfect and the potatoes were so good and buttery, I just enjoyed them and didn't care about the calories.

Another thing I told myself before we went there was that I was going to order water and not order wine. But, I got there and changed my mind. A white wine flight it was. The Caposaldo Pinot Grigio was my favorite of the four.


 And hubby tried out the beer flight. He's fond of the Wildfire Craft Beer.



And then at the end of the meal, they brought hubby this lovely chocolate lava cake for his birthday. He made a wish, took a bite and passed it my way since he knows how much I love chocolate. Then he ordered a slice of carrot cake. :)










And here I am with my better half. We met a very long time ago and were high school sweethearts. He really is my Prince Charming and my hero. :) He's a professional firefighter and paramedic and I sometimes forget how important his work is. It is tough raising kids often feeling alone as he works 24 hour shifts, but there's no one I'd rather be with and rather be celebrating birthdays with. I love him to pieces and after 22 years of marriage, I still fall more in love every day. And it's a big bonus that he enjoys dining at the same places I love. :)






Comments