Harborside Common Grounds

On a recent foodie trip to Kenosha, we stayed at the Harborside Wyndham Garden Inn. I’d stayed there in the past and love the location. Not only is it downtown and close to many of the attractions and restaurants, but it overlooks Lake Michigan. It’s the only Kenosha hotel located on the lake. 

On our first morning there, we decided to forego the hotel breakfast buffet and head over to Harborside Common Grounds, a coffee shop just a few steps away from the hotel lobby. It’s everything you want in a neighborhood coffee shop. 

There’s a mishmash of eclectic furnishings. There’s a lot of natural light. There’s history and old wood. There’s works from local artists on the walls. There’s a nice selection of beverages and also some nice bites to choose from. There are lovely smells of coffee beans and muffins and other goodies that fill the place. There are little nooks throughout the place so you can place yourself in a cozy little corner and linger and sip and read and work. And, there’s the lake. 

There’s a room in the back where you can sit at a window table and look out at the lake. I don’t know about you, but I can just feel the stress melt away and my blood pressure drop when I’m near the water. So, I loved being able to chill out here with a cup of tea (they carry one of my favorite brands, The Republic of Tea) and a slice of quiche. 

I loved it so much that the following morning, I did the exact same thing. I returned and ordered almost the same thing and just relaxed and watched the ripples in the water and the blue sky and sipped on my warm mug of tea. I wish I could start every day like this in a place like this.


I’m a history nut and always wondering about and asking questions about the buildings that I find myself in. When I asked about this structure I was told it was an old fish market. 


If you’re up in the Kenosha area, I highly suggested taking a little time out at some point in the day to pay a visit to this charming little spot. Since we were there in January, we hunkered down inside and tried to stay warm, but I look forward to stopping there in warmer weather to enjoy the outdoor seating.

For more information, visit "Harborside Common Grounds" on Facebook.










Comments