Moerlein Lager House in Cincinnati

While doing a college visit with my son this past spring to southern Ohio, we also extended our trip and spent a couple days in the Cincinnati area. We had some delicious meals while we were there, including one at the Moerlin Lager House. It was a Saturday warm Saturday night and the area was busy. 

We ate overlooking the Roebling Bridge. The restaurant is right across the street the street from Great American Ballpark, but unfortunately the season hadn't started yet, so we didn't have the opportunity to see a game. I loved Cincinnati, though, and would love to make a return trip to the area and would love to take in a game - especially if they're playing the Cubs. :)

Although it was a busy place, we had a reservation and were seated immediately. The staff was very helpful in making selections and super friendly. I was there with two of my sons and they both gobbled up dinner with zero complaints. In fact, I think they both would have gobbled up another serving. They really, really, really liked the pretzel sticks with beer cheese (how could you not love those?)

I decided on a flight of the most popular beers and sampled them from mildest to darker and more robust. They were all good middle-of-the-road beers that I could easily sit and enjoy a pint of.

I started off with a bowl of creamy, rich beer cheese soup that was amazing and managed to wrangle a couple bites of the pretzel sticks from my kids. I, too, could have easily eaten a pile of those.

One of the boys has fried fish while the other opted for ribs. I got the braised spork shank, which were delicious, served up with cheddar mashed potatoes and sautéed green beans.

The menu had an ample list of foods that are great paired with beer - poutines, cheese boards, flatbread pizzas and small bites along with classic sandwiches and burgers to entrees ranging from steaks to chicken to seafood. I wish it was closer to home because there were a handful of items I really wanted to try - narrowing it down was a difficult task.


There was also convenient, reasonably-priced parking below Smale Riverfront Park where the restaurant is situated - that's always a plus when dining in a large city.

Should you find yourself on the road near Cincy, plan for a evening out at Moerlein with great people, great views and great food.


Moerlein Lager House
115 Joe Nuxall Way
Cincinnati, Ohio
(513) 421-2337
moerleinlagerhouse.com




Comments