Summer Veggie Soup with Brown Rice

It's that time of year where the garden is bursting with fresh veggies and my son picked a bunch this week, so I figured I'd use some in soup. While soup is traditionally a cold-weather dish, I always enjoy some late summer/early fall pots that fill the house with fabulous smells that have been missing for months.

10 cups water
7 chicken boullion cubes

Spices to taste:
Oregano
Seasoned Salt
Basil
Freshly ground black pepper
Garlic Salt

Veggies, diced:
10 - 12 baby carrots
1/2 red bell pepper
1/2 orange bell pepper
1/2 green bell pepper
1 large yellow heirloom tomato
1 large red tomato

I also added one can of seasoned stewed tomatoes just for the extra juice.

1 frozen package brown rice (I get mine at Trader Joe's)

Put water and bullion cubes in large pot. Dissolve boullion in boiling water. Add spices and diced veggies. Simmer for about 45 minutes, until veggies are soft. Prepare rice in microwave as directed. Add to pot and simmer another 10 minutes or so.


Comments