Payne's Restaurant: Gas City, IN

On a little road trip through Central Indiana, I had all my meals planned out. But when I learned there was a British restaurant, Payne's, along the way, I knew I had to forget about any calorie counts and add a second lunch of fish and chips. I'm so glad I did. They were amazing.


I'm a bit British obsessed and recently put a window cling on my car that makes it appear as if I'm driving Queen Elizabeth around and she's waving out the window. So, since the Queen was with me on this road trip, a stop for a British meal was a must.

The creator of the Garfield comic strip is from the area and so there is a "Garfield Trail" of statues of the cartoon cat around the county, including the British Garfield in front of Payne's Restaurant.


We were greeted with a little dish of black bean dip and some corn chips - a nice little starter.


The macrame in this dining room gave me definite 60s/70s vibes.

Of course, I had to try the fish and chips. I don't eat much fried food, but I totally made an exception here. I love a good battered fish filet. This one was amazing and the accompanying fries were perfect.

The menu has other British favorites like British chicken curry, bangers and mash and beef stew. There's a variety of sandwich, soups and appetizers and some scrumptious sounding desserts. There's a also a nice beer menu to select from if you'd like to enjoy a pint with your meal.





Located just off of I-69, I definitely recommend pulling off the interstate and checking this place out! Visit  Payne's on Facebook for menu updates and more.

 

Comments