Al’s Beef

Where’s my Italian beef peeps? It’s one of the most iconic Chicago foods. 

I won’t even get a debate started about who is the best, because honestly, I never met an Italian beef sandwich I didn’t like. :)

One of my faves for beef is Al’s. And while it’s just as good at any location, it’s always special to visit the Little Italy location on Taylor Street.

My favorite way to have one is with the bread dry (or slightly soggy) and sweet peppers and marinara. Sometimes a little mozzarella, too.

If you’ve not yet had Al’s, where have you been? The family’s connections to the Italian beef sandwich go back to the post-World War I days, with the first beef stand opening in 1938. The Taylor Street location has now been around for about 60 years and they continue serving up their specialties the traditional way.



Oh, and Chris Pacelli is the best. He’s a third generation guy in the family beef business and is a super friendly face of the biz. If you see him, say “hi” and tell him the Chicago Foodie Sisters sent you. For more info, visit alsbeef.com.




Comments