Trader Joe's Filet Mignon: Restaurant Quality at Home

When I dine out and decide I'd like steak, I often go for a petite filet mignon - cooked to medium. Lucky for me, husband and one of my sons have become quite skilled at making steak at home. When there's a birthday in the family or a warm-weather holiday or it's a a random Sunday afternoon when we decide to grill, steak is a common request. 

I had kind of given up on selecting steaks from any grocery store chains and stuck to picking it up from a couple local butcher shops. If I was going to spend the money on steak and we were going to take the time to put the meal together, I wanted it to be good quality and it seemed hard to find. But in recent years, my favorite place to get steak to cook at home has been Trader Joe's. The first time I tried it, it was amazing - every bit as good as the price filet I'd had the week before at an upscale steakhouse. I now rarely buy it anywhere else. 

Unfortunately, I don't have a Trader Joe's very close to me. Before my move last year, I was a little over a a half-hour from the closest one - if traffic was very good, which it often isn't when going that route. I'm now a little over an hour away from a Trader Joe's, so I don't get there often - maybe once every 3 or 4 months, but when I do the filet mignon is at the top of my grocery list. 

My husband honed his steak making skills after a class at a Weber Grill store. If you're looking to improve your steak game, definitely look them up and see if they're offering any classes.







Comments