Schoop's has been serving up burgers for more than five decades


There are lots of places you can get a burger. Some are good, some are not. And some are outstanding. At the top of the list is Schoops, with 20 franchises in Indiana in Illinois. The first Schoops opened in Hammond in 1948, selling burgers for 15 cents. In 1959, they opened a location in Munster, which is the one I stop at most frequently. 

I remember my mother telling me that when she was expecting me and traveling from Dolton to Indiana for doctor appointments with her OB, they'd often make a stop at Schoop's in Munster for a burger. So, I guess I've been enjoying their food since I was in the womb, literally.

Schoop's burgers are flattened a bit and the ends of the burger crisped on the grill and topped with ketchup, mustard, relish and onion. Also, if you stop in, don't pass up the chili cheese fries, which get a big A+ and are a big enough serving for at least two. Top off the meal with a shake or malt topped with whipped cream and cherry.

Comments