White Rhino gets thumbs up for food and atmosphere

White Rhino Bar and Grill in Dyer, IN is a breath of fresh air as far as bar food goes. While a lot of bars are, well....more bar than restaurant, this place is more restaurant than bar, if that makes sense. The decor and menu are on the upscale side, a nice change from most of the NW Indiana bars that serve food.

My visit this week wasn't my first one to White Rhino, but it was my first in a while. My visit was prompted by my realization that I had a Restaurant.com certificate for White Rhino that I hadn't redeemed yet. Needing a night out after 10 days of the kids off school, I roped my hubby into a date night.

It started off with one of my favorite appetizers, the bruchetta.


The topping was refreshing, the bread perfectly toasted.

My entree included soup or salad. I went the salad. Loved it, especially the croutons.


My husband ordered ribs for his entree. A full slab. He quit half way through. I didn't try them, but they sure looked tasty.


And for my entree, it was the steak and shrimp combo. The shrimp was AMAZING!!! The steak was well-cooked and flavorful. And a baked spud with sour cream is always a great accompaniment. 



Didn't have room for dessert. Maybe next time.

A few notes if you plan to visit. We were there on a Tuesday. It's $1 taco night! I've been there before on dollar taco night and they are sooo good! Can't beat it for a buck! Also, a guy named Josh Holmes is there performing acoustically at 9:00. Worth a visit to see him, too.

There are additional drink and dinner specials each day. There was also an all you can eat pasta bar the night we were there. Sounded wonderful! There were lots of kids in the place, so it is a place I'd feel comfortable bringing the family and there are several dishes with kid appeal as well as large pizza that can be ordered. They also have occasional wine tastings and cooking demos. I hope to get to one soon. Only down side to the place is that I've gotten so used to non-smoking restaurants since I live in Illinois, so it's hard to head to one where there is smoking. They do have a non-smoking section, but where we were sitting, the smell lingered.

I used my Restaurant.com gift card for the visit. If you plan to go, visit the Restaurant.com site and you can get a $25 gift card for just $3.99.

Comments

  1. Oh wow! Yummy indeed! I haven't been to Chicago, but my hubby did, for now I'm looking forward reading more of your posts. ;)

    I'm visiting from the hop. I'm your new follower. I look forward reading more of your posts. I would love to hear from you too. You can find me in GFC, FB, G+ and more. :)

    Best Regards!
    Des of chicsassymom.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for following. I will check you out as well. Chicago is an awesome food city!! We post restaurant reviews and recipes, photos from our own kitchens. Welcome!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment