Mixed greens with truffle oil



It was lunchtime and I was throwing a salad together:

Mixed green and red lettuces and spinach
avocado
cauliflower
pistachios
basil
smoked gouda and sun dried tomato formaggio 


I thought it was a nice blend of flavors. I decided to top it I would squeeze some lemon juice and maybe a drizzle of the Black Truffle Oil I'd picked up recently. I'd forgotten about the warning on how strong the flavor is. It was a bit much. So, I tried adding just a touch of some freshly squeezed lime juice and a little olive oil and that was much better. I somehow forgot to take a picture of it, but it was pretty! :)

I found this recipe online that maybe I'll try next time:

Truffle Oil Dressing:
2 tablespoons white truffle oil
1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon champagne wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon fresh-squeezed lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon sea salt (fleur de sel)
Few grindings of black pepper
In a small bowl, whisk together while truffle oil, olive oil, champagne wine vinegar, lemon juice, sea salt, and black pepper; set aside or refrigerate until ready to use. If refrigerating, bring to room temperature before using.

2 tablespoons seems like a lot...especially at $12.49 for a teeny-tiny bottle. I'm sure I'll scale it back a bit.

Any tips for me on using truffle oil? What have you used it for?

 

Comments