Lincoln's O in Highland, Indiana

Way back in the late 1980's when my husband and I were dating in high school, he would take me to Lincoln's in Calumet City where we'd enjoy some phenomenal sandwiches and usually bring home a homemade pie. He would go there on lunch break during the summers and the line would be out the door.

A few years ago the Calumet City location was sold, but the original owners opened a location in downtown Highland, Indiana and it became known as Lincoln O's. The "O" stands for "Original" as there are two other Lincoln's locations, that have the same menu items but are owned by a different family.

There are some awesome specialty sandwiches on the menu - the Bunny Girl, the U.S. Steel, the Toledo, the Stromboli. And hubby's favorite, the Sibley Special - ham, cheese, lettuce and tomato with boiled eggs and my favorite, the Cal City Special - ham, turkey, bacon, cheese, lettuce, tomato on Italian bread. It's especially good with a side of onion rings. Prices are still pretty reasonable and sandwich are hearty. One of the daughters of the original owners is still there at the register.

Lincoln's O also makes wonderful homemade pies at a fraction of the price of a pie from Baker's Square. If you haven't tried Lincoln's, you are missing out. The recipes date back to the early 1960's when the original location was opened in Gary, In. The place is still a bit old-school (which I love, by the way) with a 50's feel to the dining room with splashes of pastel pink and no website.

I'm a sandwich lover and as much as I adore grilled sandwiches and paninis, there's just nothing like a Cal City special. It remains my very favorite sandwich of all time.



My beloved "Cal City Special" at Lincoln's O

Lincoln's O
2813 Hwy Ave.
Highland, In
(219) 923-4144


Comments

  1. Love this place. I also went to the Calumet city location. They also offer hot food like burgers and spaghetti and meatballs but I like the sandwiches best.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment