The Berghoff

I've been to The Berghoff on several occasions, one of them being for dinner with my husband's aunt when she was visiting from Germany a couple years ago. Recently, that aunt sent me an email that her cousin, whom we had never met, would be in the U.S. on business and he wanted to stop in Chicago to meet my husband, his sisters and our families. So, she gave us his itinerary and we made a reservation.

My husband's father grew up in Germany and immigrated to the U.S. on his own in his late teens and he passed away six years ago. He had never returned to Germany after he immigrated and other than his sister and a nephew and his wife and son, we've never met any other relatives from his side of the family. So, we were really excited to meet this relative, a first cousin of my father-in-law. It turns out that he has a company that manufactures playground equipment and they've designed playgrounds for parks all over the world, including Maggie Daley Park. Traveling along with him were his wife and a colleague from Scotland.  Luckily, his English was better than our German. We had a wonderful time learning more about my husband's roots and enjoying German food together.



I always enjoy the food (and beer) we have on a visit to the Berghoff. How can you go wrong with giant pretzels and potato pancakes as appetizers, schnitzel and black forest cake?


The Berghoff
17 W. Adams
Chicago
312-427-3170
theberghoff.com




















Comments