Wiley's Grill at Coyote Run Golf Club: Homewood, Illinois

So, last month as COVID-19 cases were on the rise, the Illinois Governor gave warning that indoor dining would be banned again in several counties in Northern Illinois, including suburban Cook County where I live. I decided we'd try and do one last date night since we didn't know how long it would last before we might be able to go eat in a restaurant again.

I'd eaten in a handful of restaurants in recent months, but I've been pretty selective and picky on where I go. I'd eat outside when it was an option. And places we ate inside, I tried to go to non-busy places during non-peak times. On one occasion I was the only customer in the place.

For dinner on that even of the indoor shutdown, I set off to a cajun/southern restaurant I have been wanting to go to and unfortunately they were closed that night. So, since I was in Homewood, I asked Siri for a list of restaurants in the area hoping to find a place I hadn't been to before.






One that came up was Wiley's Grill. It is a restaurant inside the Coyote Run Golf Club in Homewood. I glanced at the online menu and found that they had a good selection of casual food. I called to be sure they were open. They were and over we went.

When we got there, there was one occupied table and so we sat ourselves at the other side of the dining room. Our server was very attentive, let us know about specials and we perused the menu. 

If you have followed this blog or our social media for a while, you might know that I am an absolute addict of elote. So, I was so excited to see that stye had an elote, chips and salsa appetizer. I love elote as a side dish, but never thought about having it as a dip. This starter was a generous plate of chips with both salsa and a big bowl of elote. We dipped chips in the elote and my life is changes forever. Why have I never eaten elote this way before?

I could have easily noshed on that and called it dinner. But, I was also in the mood for a burger and that's what I ordered. It came with a side of deliciously crunchy fresh-cut fries. Hubby got the taco salad that was the special for that night.

We were very pleased with our meal that evening and glad to make our way out for one last dinner date. It worked out well for us that there was no crowd, but my heart continues to go out to all the restaurants that are starving for business as the pandemic lingers on and the crowds stay away or don't even have the option to visit as shutdowns keep happening to help prevent the spread of COVID-19. In the meantime, please continue to support your local restaurants - and even if you can't sit in a dining room or on a patio for a meal, keep them going by ordering carry out. They're open ready to serve and doing a great job of feeding the hungry masses hunkered down at home.

For more info on Wiley's Gill, go to wileysgrill.com



Comments