Les Cafe in Highland, Indiana

Just before Christmas, my son Brandon and I went to a show at the Center for Visual and Performing Arts in Munster and I thought we'd go for a bite to eat afterwards. We headed for one of my favorite sandwich shops, Lincoln's in Calumet City. When we got there, we discovered that Lincoln's is closed on Sundays. So, I started driving down Highway Ave. racking my brain on where to go for a sandwich that was in the area. I didn't want fast food. As I was driving I noticed Les Cafe. I had never noticed it before, so I was thinking it was a new place. I parked and we went in to try it out.

Since it was our first time there, we went in, got seated and ordered without realizing it was pretty close to closing time. Still, they were very accommodating and apologized for the noise as they ran the vacuum cleaner on the other side of the dining room.

It has cute decor and a cozy, laid back atmosphere. There were many, many choices on the menu. I really was tempted to order breakfast, but settled on a monte cristo sandwich, which I had not had in ages. I was introduced to the monte cristo probably 25 years ago when my friend, Jenny, worked at Bennigan's and we went there for lunch. It came with fries and soup. I got the lemon rice. Brandon decided to get a club sandwich with beef noodle soup and a vanilla milkshake. Everything we tried was good and it was a pleasant little place to spend a little time with my boy. 

Before we left I asked if the place was knew since I'd never noticed it before. Turns out they just celebrated their 10th anniversary there. Don't know I have never noticed it in the past! Glad I know it's there now. I'm looking forward to a return trip to try out the breakfast menu.











Comments