Grilled Beef and Cheddar with Horseradish Sauce

A toasty, hot sandwich is a great meal for a chilly winter day when the snow is falling...which is still happening here in Chicago even though we've moved into March.  This is one of my favorite hot sandwiches. I fell in love with it when it was on the menu of a little bakery and deli in Munster, Indiana called Petey Treats. The owner was the dad of my son's best buddy, Petey. Our boys were in kindergarten at the time and they're now 21-years-old, so it's been a LONG time since I had that first sandwich. But once in a while I get a craving for one of those tasty, warm sandwich I enjoyed there. Here's how I make it:

2 slices of pumpernickel/rye swirl bread
2 slices aged super sharp cheddar (I love the Hoffman's brand)
About 6 ounces of lean, rare roast beef
Horseradish sauce

Butter one side of your bread. Place one slice, buttered side down, into a hot skillet. Place a slice of cheese on top, followed by beef and another slice of cheese. Spread horseradish sauce on non-buttered side of second bread slice and place on top of sandwich. Flip once the bottom bread has browned. Cook until second side of bread is browned and cheese is melted.

P.S. Aldi has a nice bottled Horseradish sauce. I've also made my own - just mayonnaise and horseradish blended together with a splash of lemon juice and, if desired, a sprinkle of freshly ground pepper.


Comments