Meatloaf Like Mom Makes

Meatloaf is often the butt of food jokes. It's the unidentifiable entree doled out by hairy, heavy lunch ladies. But, call me weird -- it was always one of my favorite dinners that mom made. And...it's a favorite of my boys, as well. I make mine just like Mom did. Her secret recipe wasn't much of a secret it all. She made it mostly according to the recipe that was on the box of Lipton Onion Soup Mix. My favorite part was that she's pour ketchup all over the top and then bake it.

Here's mom's not-so-secret meatloaf recipe:


1 1/2 pound ground round
2 eggs
1 envelope onion soup mix
1/4 cup of water
1/2 cup bread crumbs
salt and pepper to taste
ketchup 

Mix the ground round, eggs, soup mix, water, bread crumbs and salt and pepper. Shape into a loaf. I put mine into a foil lined loaf pan. Cover the top with a thick layer of ketchup and bake for about one hour at 400 degrees.



Comments