Blistered Shishitos

A few years ago I was introduced to shishito peppers at an events at a restaurant on Chicago's north side. It was one of the appetizers brought around to us as we enjoyed cocktails.  

They were simple and sweet, but we were warned that some were hot and some were not and there was no way to tell the difference until you bit into them. So, we took our chances. None of the ones I tried were hot. 

Since then I have tried many and only once have I got one that was spicy - and it wasn't as spicy as I expected. From the research I've done, it seems that about 1 in 10 is spicy. I've eaten dozens since then, so I guess I've gotten lucky. 

Anyway, this past summer I grew them in the garden as well as picking them up from a Northwest Indiana farmer, Jessie, with the Farm Down the Road in Hebron, Indiana. Usually I would prepare them by heating up a cast iron skillet with some olive oil and then dropping the peppers on the pan. Sometimes I'd spritz them with a little water to speed up the charring and would sprinkle with sea salt. It's something so simple, but it's a healthy side that goes well with all those grilled summer meals.




Comments