Enjoying a balanced breakfast

A few years ago, it was not unusual for me to consume a couple granola bars, inhale a bowl of sugary cereal, down a pop-tart or grab a doughnut or buttered biscuit in the morning - or skip breakfast altogether and then overeat on junk when I finally did take a few bites. 

I've always preferred savory breakfasts, but in the business of raising a house full of kids and keeping up with work and all I had to do, I would sometimes grab what was quick and easily available.

These days I'm much more intentional about what I eat and in how I start the day. I rarely skip breakfast now and I try to make sure that early morning meal is light on calories, but full of nutrients. I try to keep carbs at a minimum (and eat whole grains when I incorporate them), be sure to have some protein and also have some fruit or vegetables.

I love scrambled eggs and although I don't like the time it takes to make them, I make time as much as I can do make some and add a little serving. My son also makes himself a scramble every morning and he's kind enough to make extra for me a few times a week.

Sometimes, I simply make it a breakfast of a string cheese or a Babybel mini cheese wheel along with some fruit. Sometimes, I'll add nuts. But I do find that I am snacking much sooner if I don't have eggs, toast or a little meat.

This is the kind of breakfast I strive to have when I can. 

A scrambled egg (I also love to add sautéed peppers or onions or mushrooms)
1/2 slice of thin-sliced whole grain bread
one sausage link
small serving of sautéed spinach
strawberries and bananas

What's your favorite breakfast?



Comments