Loaded Baked Potato Soup

In those couple of weeks when the kids were home for Christmas break, I was happy to have a few days at home where I didn't have to go anywhere. I could stay home and work from the computer in my comfy clothes and bake goodies and make soup.

My mom's potato soup recipe was always a simple one. It wasn't a creamy soup. It was simply potatoes, water, milk, butter, dried onion, salt and pepper. Although I enjoy creamy potato soup when I'm at restaurants, what I make at home is like what mom always made. Sometimes I like a little bowl all by itself with a few crackers. Sometimes it's fun to load on toppings, like you would do if it were a baked potato. You can alter the ingredients to suit your tastes. If you like a chunkier soup, cut the potatoes larger and shave off a little cooking time. If you like less broth, cut down on the liquid a little. If you like the potatoes in mashed form, press a masher in a little bit before adding the remaining ingredients.

Ingredients:

7 or 8 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into about 1/2 inch chunks.
2 cups milk
1 stick butter or margarine
1 tbsp dried minced onion
salt
pepper

optional toppings:
shredded cheddar cheese 
bacon bits
sour cream
chives


Cover with water and boil until soft. Drain most of water. Leave a little covering bottom of pot. Add about 2 coups of milk and one stick of butter or margarine. (Mom's recipe calls for a full stick. I use a little less.) Add dried onion and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil and then simmer about 5 more minutes.

While hot, top with shredded cheese, bacon bits, a dollop of sour cream, chives or any other baked potato toppings you like. Also, I like cheesy soup -- if you also do, then put a handful of shredded cheese on the bottom of the bowl before pouring in the soup. It will melt fast that way and you can stir it right away to blend in.






Comments