Side trip to the Triple XXX

Last month, as I was returning home from a trip to Indianapolis, I stopped for a bite to eat at the Triple XXX Family Restaurant. I had seen a billboard on the way down that said that it had appeared on Guy Fieri's "Diners, Drive Ins and Dives" so I figured it had to be good.

I took the little detour on my way home to go about 6 miles off the expressway to find it. It was well worth it. The burgers are not just burgers. They are chopped steak burgers. The meat is ground there daily and you can sure taste the difference.

The root beer is also their own recipe. You can find Triple XXX bottled root beer all over the country now, but it tastes so much better in a frosty mug on a bar stool in this nostalgic restaurant.

When I was traveling down to Santa Claus, Indiana with my husband and four of my five boys earlier this month, I suggested a stop for lunch on the way down. My kids are fans of Triple XXX root beer and all were excited about visiting the place.

The second visit was just as delicious as the first. I ordered a big mug of root beer and drank every last drop.

My 10-year-old got a chocolate malt, which he was obligated to let mom sample. It was magnificent! So creamy!

And then for lunch five of the six of us ordered burgers (one got a barbecue pork sandwich). We were all in agreement that those chopped steak burgers are pretty awesome and that we'll be visiting this place again when we're headed down I-65!


If you've got a BIG appetite, you might want to consider ordering this. :)

Comments