Chicken taquitos


Once in a while something catches my eye in viewing a blog and my tummy just can't let go of it. On the blog From Valerie's Kitchen, I looked at a posting for baked chicken taquitos and the image of the chicken in a skillet with cheese melting over it just pulled me in. Last week, as I was cooking up some munchies for Super Bowl Sunday, this recipe came to mind and I whipped some up. They were delish. It's a couple days later and I still can't get it out of my mind. I'm making more for lunch right now as I typed.

As usual, my version is just a little different, just based on the fact that I don't like hot stuff too much, and that I didn't have every ingredient on hand. They were so good!

Ingredients:

Olive oil
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced
1 1/2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1 tsp. Cajun injector seasoning
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
dash of celery salt
green onion, diced
4 oz. shredded co-jack cheese
1 package tortillas

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put olive oil in skillet and heat, adding diced chicken. As it cooks, add seasonings and onion.


 
Once cooked throughout, add cheese and stir until melted cheese is blended well.
 
 
Place pack of tortillas in microwave for about 15 seconds - just long enough to keep them from sticking and breaking when you roll them. Place a spoonful of the chicken into a tortilla and roll. Look over at Valerie's post if you need help on rolling. Not sure what her trick is, but mine didn't roll as well as hers.  

 
Spray the tops of rolled tortillas with cooking spray. And put in oven for 15 - 20 minutes or until they have hardened slightly to add a nice crunch. Garnish with whatever you like - sour cream, salsa, chives, cilantro.  You might want to make a double batch...they will disappear quickly!



Comments