8 Places in Chicagoland to get great chocolates

Is anyone else out there as big of a chocolate fan as me? I know I'm not alone.

I honestly don't have a huge sweet tooth. Cake? I can pass it up easily. Cookie? Not really my thing - maybe a couple OREOs. Pie? Maybe a bite. Ice cream? I like it, but not the hugest fan. I usually have no problem passing up dessert and I most often prefer savory to sweet. Unless...

you put chocolate candy in front of me. That is my weakness. Truffle? Oh, yeah! Candy bars with nuts and nougat? Sign me up! Toffee? Yummo! Fudge? Come to Mama! Chocolate covered strawberries? I can't resist!

There are so many chocolate shops in Chicagoland where you can get some delectable chocolate treats. Here are a few of my favorites:

Long Grove Confectionery 
Long Grove, IL

I have special memories of going her as a child with my older sister, sisters-in-law and my mom and getting their delectable chocolate covered strawberries. Love them!

Cunis Candies
South Holland, IL

I grew up next door to this spot and made the occasional stop there for ice cream and chocolates. This place also does amazing chocolate covered strawberries and lots of other goodies.

Albanese Candy Factory
Merrillville, IN

Each time I travel down US-30, I have to stop here for some of their chocolate-covered pecans and premium chocolate malted milk balls. And they have every kind of gummy flavor and shape you can imagine.

Eatheral Confections
Woodstock, IL

This cool bean-to-bar confectionery and cafe with treats that are beautiful and melt in your mouth. The bark, truffles and the meltways are pretty fantastic.

Riverside Chocolate Factory
McHenry, IL

My sister-in-law lived in McHenry for a number of years and when we went to her place we'd always try and make a stop here. I loved getting the frozen chocolate bananas - and of course, chocolate strawberries, too.

Gayety's
Lansing, IL

This is one of those sweet nostalgic places. It started nearly a century ago in Chicago and unfortunately closed it's doors a few months ago. But, rejoice!!! A new owner will be reopening the store soon and I CANT WAIT!

The Chocolate Sanctuary
Gurnee, IL

This place does way more than chocolate. It's a cute cafe with a killer menu. You can also watch them make their delicious truffles and other treats at a counter in the restaurant.

Anderson's Candy Shop
Richmond, IL

This years marks a century of candy making for Anderson's where everything is still hand-dipped and made the old-fashioned way. My favorite here is the filbert!



Comments