Chicken Dumpling Soup

I love soup and all year long I make different ones. In the winter I make at least a pot of soup a week and today I decided I was in the mood for chicken and dumpling soup. I'm all for using shortcuts in the kitchen and this one couldn't be easier. My mom always made amazing dumplings from scratch, but I have never even tried to recreate it. I have this longstanding fear of using flour - a story for another day that dates all the way back to my newlywed days when I was first learning to cook.

This recipe uses biscuit dough for the dumplings. It was so good I had two bowls.

32-ounce carton chicken broth

12-16 ounces frozen Schwab's fully cooked, diced chicken

1 10 1/2 ounce can cream of chicken soup

5 Grands biscuits

1 microsteam bag Birdseye mixed vegetables

Trader Joe's 21 Seasoning Salute

water

In a soup pot or Dutch oven, add broth, chicken, seasoning to taste (I used about a tablespoon) cream of chicken soup and one can of water and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Roll out biscuits (I used 5 out of a can of 8 biscuits - you can adjust to your preference if you like more or less of the dumplings) and cut into strips or cubes. Drop into boiling broth one at a time to prevent sticking. Reduce to a low boil, cover and cook for about 20 minutes. As it's cooking, put your bag of mixed vegetables in the microwave and cook as directed. Add to the vegetables to the soup with about 5 minutes of cook time left.



Comments