Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole

I love breakfast casserole. I make them for special occasions and then I always wonder why I don't make them more often. They're yummy and convenient - all the good flavors of breakfast in each bite. I can also make a large pan of it and have leftovers for days.

As Christmas was approaching I decided I'd make one for Christmas morning. I have most often made ones with a bread layer on the bottom or biscuits - like this recipe and this one or have made a quiche. I've sometimes cut down on the carbs to make a crustless quiche or made individual quiche cups and I especially love them when I feel like a meal without meat and load them with veggies. 

It's not very often I've used potatoes as a base, so I looked around online for recipes and made up my own after a little inspiration from others. I knew I had diced ham in my freezer (each time we have a ham for dinner, I set a little aside and dice it to keep in the freezer so when I want to make an omelet or egg scramble I have it cut up and ready to go), so rather than browning sausage like I normally would do for a breakfast casserole, I just grabbed a bag of ham from my freezer and defrosted it in the microwave for a couple minutes.

10 ounces Simply Potatoes refrigerated shredded hash browns
8 eggs
1/4-1/2 cup milk
1 cup diced ham
6 ounces Kraft Triple Cheddar finely shredded cheese
salt
pepper

You may want to adjust the amounts of the ingredients. I went with what fit well in this particular casserole dish, which is just a tad smaller than a 9 X 12 baking dish because of the rounded edges.

First I scrambled my eggs adding the milk, salt and pepper. Spray the baking dish with PAM. Press down a layer of the shredded potatoes on the dish. Pour over the scrambled egg mixture. Top with ham and then cheese. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for about 50-55 minutes.

It's even easier than most of the recipes I've done where I have to dice up bread or cut biscuit dough. It's filling and perfect for breakfast or brunch. I recommend adding some fresh fruit and a mimosa. :) 





Comments