Supper Club Night at JJ Kelley’s in Lansing, IL

I've been going to JJ Kelley's in Lansing for many, many years. It was always the bar to go to for a good meal along with your drink - everything from classic bar food like burgers and fries and fried appetizers to seafood recipes and Italians specialities. It's always been my go-to around St. Patrick's Day for the corned beef and cabbage and for a Reuben any other time of year.

I've loved dining there on Friday nights for the soup and salad buffet that is included with dinners. I could eat the chicken noodle soup every day and never get tired of it. There are other soups that rotate through, too, but that chicken noodle soup is a staple and something I always look forward to - along with the garlic bread and their homemade potato chips. Sometimes the Friday night dinners include dessert, which is always a delicious little bonus if you have any room left in your stomach.

I've been there for many meetings and events and fundraisers over the year - where I've had items from a buffet, like their delicious fried chicken and potato salad and meats cooked out on a grill outside, including brats and burgers. And when stopping in for lunch, two of my favorites are the chopped salad and the fried shrimp.

They do some great cocktails, too. I don't even drink coffee, but hand me an Irish coffee when I'm in for my St. Patty's corned beef and there's no way I'm turning it down. 

A new thing that sprung up in recent months at JJ Kelley's is their supper club dinners. It's a fun night that takes you back to those supper clubs of the past with a traditional hearty meal along with lounge-style entertainment. 

We were there just before Halloween for a fun evening of music by Frank Rossi - who has a smooth crooner voice similar to another Frank (whose last name starts with a S and ends with an A and has "INATR" in the middle!) He had the crowd singing and dancing along with all the classics.

Dinner began with an old school relish tray. Gosh, I miss those. The veggies, meat, cheese ball and beets were a perfect way to start our meal. We had selected our entree in advance - a prime rib for my husband and Shrimp DeJonghe for me.

Keep an eye on their Facebook page  for menu updates and future events.















Comments