Meatloaf: Just like mom used to make

Meatloaf was on Mom's regular menu rotation during my childhood. I always thought mom's was the best. I tasted others, but none ever compared to Mom's. Once I grew up I was pleased to learn how easy it was. 

1 lb. ground beef
1 egg
About a cup of bread crumbs (I admit I don't really measure, just add them until it looks right)
Water (same thing, just add a little to moisten, no measuring)
1 envelope onion soup mix
ketchup

Mix all ingredients well - EXCEPT the ketchup. After your loaf is mixed and shaped. Put in a loaf pan and cover top with ketchup. Bake about 45 - 50 minutes. 

The ketchup on top is my favorite part! I have experiment from time to time, adding other seasonings or green peppers. But, I seem to enjoy it best in this simple form. Just like Mom always made. And it was always served up with potatoes - usually mashed. Sometimes I switch it up and and serve it with buttered potatoes or fried potatoes. Good stuff! Mom would be proud.

Comments