Firehouse BBQ & Blues


Disclosure: We received a complimentary meal as part of a coordinated media trip with Visit Richmond. I was not compensated for this post. All opinions are my own.


While traveling over spring break with the kids, we spent a little time in Richmond, Indiana. For lunch one day we stopped at Firehouse BBQ and Blues, which is housed in an 1860 firehouse in Richmond's Historic Depot District. We met Nancy from the Richmond/Wayne County Convention and Visitors Bureau there for lunch. We learned that the place is fire-fighter owned and that it sat vacant for about a decade before undergoing a two-year restoration. I love the design of the place with a limestone exterior and exposed brick and wood floors inside with the signature fire pole in place near the front. The restaurant site where horses once pulled a steam fire engine to fight fires.


I'm married to a career firefighter and so for many years in our travels I've tried to seek out places with a firefighter theme. We've visited museums and restaurants that are located in old firehouses and this is one of my favorites. The building housed Mechanics Steam Fire Co. when it first opened and in 1889 the limestone exterior was added. So was the oak staircase. Upstairs where hay was kept, they now have a banquet room. The structure operated as a firehouse until 1930. It was later a community center and then meeting space for the American Legion. Firefighters Tom Boyles and Rick Bolen started restoration in 2009 and it opened for business in 2012.

The place hosts blues bands on weekends and they have some pretty awesome barbecue on the menu with a bunch of sides that are all homemade. Food is hickory-smoked low and slow and it was some of the best pulled pork and brisket I've ever had. Richmond has a musical history and throughout the space you'll see quotes from well-known musical artists connected to the area. There's also a pretty cool mural on the exterior building and some fantastic artwork inside, as well.

So, here's what we had to eat:


We started with some pulled pork nachos. 




One of the boys got a pulled pork with a side of mac and cheese.






Another of the boys had a beef brisket sandwich with cheesy potatoes. This brisket was phenomenal. Melted it your mouth!



I always try to get something unique to the place that you wouldn't find elsewhere. So, I got the "Smokin' Hog," which was smoked sausage stuffed with pulled pork, cheese, onions and bbq sauce. It was loaded with great-tasting meat and piled high with cheese and onion. I knew it was a plate of heartburn waiting to happen, but I couldn't help myself. And it was pretty awesome. I also loved my side of baked beans.



Hubby got the "Dalmation," which was a 1/4 lb. hot dog piled with Firehouse chili, cheddar cheese and onion. I forgot to try a bite of this - and really wanted to taste the chili. Hubby did give it a thumbs up, though. And I tried a bite of his cheesy potatoes. How could you not love those?



Nancy got a brisket wrap that looked really good.



One of the other boys got this sandwich that I had been contemplating ordering. Like I said earlier, I usually try to order a special menu item that is unique to a restaurant and this definitely fit that description. It's the "Tom's Mojo" which is like the best version of grilled cheese ever. It' pulled pork sweet bbq sauce and mac and cheese on Texas toast. I made my son share a bite with me and I'm still thinking about that sandwich. Who knew mac and cheese would be so great on a big sloppy sandwich?





Had to trie the peanut butter pie for dessert, which was very rich, but oh, so good.



I'd love to return to this place for many reasons - the cool history, the firefighter theme, the fun artwork and the amazing food - and would be great to enjoy some of the live blues music as well.

This place is definitely one to add to your bucket list on your Indiana travels. 

Firehouse BBQ & Blues
400 N. 8th Street
Richmond, Indiana
765-488-0312
firehwousebbqandblues.com





















Comments