Gur Sweets Takes Dessert Lovers on a Global Journey with Traditional and Internationally Inspired Sweets
Elmhurst Bakery is Busy in the Kitchen With Traditional American Desserts, Plus South Asian and European Fusion Recipes
[Elmhurst, IL] – Chicagoland residents can finally enjoy desserts from around the globe -- without a passport. Gur Sweets, the newly opened bakery on 162 North York Street in Elmhurst, is the only local shop to offer traditional American desserts along with a selection of European and South Asian recipes.
In addition to a vast selection of cakes, cupcakes, pastries, cookies, breads, scones and muffins, Gur Sweets caters to international palates with baklava, besan barfi, milk barfi, macarons, gulab jamun and other traditional ethnic desserts. The bakery caters to all dietary needs, including halal, kosher, gluten-free and vegan diets.
“The United States has become a melting pot of cultures, and as a result we see a lot of international fusions in our cuisine,” said Rubina Hafeez, owner and head pastry chef at Gur Sweets. “We have all of the traditional desserts that our customers love, from apple pie and cheesecake to classic chocolate chip cookies and brownies. I also want to bring more culinary diversity to Elmhurst, beginning with desserts.”
According to the National Restaurant Association, global flavors lead the way in consumer appeal, especially among Millennials who were raised on diverse ethnic foods. The generation, overall, values authentic offerings in everything from ingredients to preparation and presentation.
“People love classic desserts that remind them of childhood, but they also want to try new things,” said Hafeez. “For example, gourmet cupcakes have been popular for the past few years but, even cupcake lovers get tired of the same thing."
· Baklava, known for its Greek origin, is a rich, sweet pastry made with layers of phyllo pastry filled with chopped nuts, sweetened with syrup or honey ($0.99/piece).
· Besan Barfi is an Indian dessert made with chickpea flour, sugar and condensed milk. Milk Barfi is a similar Indian confection, made with milk powder and cream. Hafeez offers a classic version with cardamom and almonds, plus caramel pecan and mango flavors ($1.29/piece).
· Gulab Jamun is a popular South Asian dumpling, soaked in lightly flavored syrup. Hafeez has also created Maple Jamun, coated in real maple syrup and Cream Jamun, topped with mascarpone butter cream ($1.29/piece).
· Macarons are sweet meringue-based confection made with eggs, icing sugar, granulated sugar, almond powder or ground almond. Hafeez offers a variety of flavors, including vanilla, lemon, orange, framboise, mint, ganache and more ($1.99/piece).
· Samosas, perfect for a heartier snack before your sweet treat, are fried pastry with a savory filling of potatoes, onions, peas and lentils ($1.29/piece)
Gur Sweets, which is named for gur, the purest form of unrefined sugar from India, also offers catering for corporate events, weddings, bridal showers, baby showers and other special occasions
About Gur Sweets
Gur Sweets is a bakery in Elmhurst, IL founded in October 2012 by Rubina Hafeez. A former engineer who left the corporate world to pursue her passion for baking and earn a culinary degree, Hafeez is dedicated to ensuring that all of Gur Sweets’ products, baked daily, meet the highest culinary standards. Gur Sweets only uses halal and kosher ingredients that have no preservatives, artificial flavors or animal byproducts. For more information about Gur sweets, call us 630-833-0008 or visit us at 162 North York Street, Elmhurst IL. Follow Gur Sweets on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.