Making great grilled sweet corn

A few years ago, my neighbor was making corn on the cob on her grill. I asked for her method. She would pull back the husks and remove the silk, then cover them back up and wet them before placing them on the grill.

I've since learned to skip that step of removing the silk. I actually think it's easier to remove the silk once they have already been grilled. I've also learned to soak them a little longer. This week was the first time this season that we've made corn on the grill.

I fill up one side of my sink with cool water and put them corn in there to soak for at least a half hour.  Then I place them on the grill where they stay at high heat for about 20 minutes. Because the husks haven't been opened yet and there's so much moisture from soaking them, it's almost like it steams the corn inside the husks and the end result is delicious. Also, you don't have to worry if your husks blacken a little. Your corn is protected inside the husks and just because the husks burn, it doesn't mean your corn does.

Another nice addition to grilled corn is to have a container of melted butter waiting and dip the corn right in. However, the bi-color sweet corn that I get at area farms is often so sweet as is and I don't add butter or add very little. It's amazing taken right off the grill with a little sprinkle of sea salt.

Happy grilling!


Comments