Quinoa Pilaf

I'm always scanning the recipes on packages. I rarely end up making them, but I always like to look them over and get ideas. This time I found a recipe on a package and had to try it out. I had recently had a frozen quinoa pilaf from Trader Joe's that I liked. So, I had a package of quinoa in my pantry and when I saw the pilaf recipe on the package, I figured I'd give it a try. It was incredibly easy and had great flavor. One of my boys really enjoyed it, having three servings. I served it up with some honey mustard glazed salmon and a salad.

Quinoa is a unique grain with the closest description perhaps being a combination of rice and cous cous. It's light and fluffy when cooked and soaks up the flavor of whatever you're blending into it. I found it in the rice section of my grocery store. After my first try, I contacted Nature's Earthly Choice and they were kind enough to send some samples for me to try and blog about. So, I'm finally getting around to it and I look forward to trying the other products they sent.

So, back to the pilaf.

1 tbsp vegetable oil (I used extra virgin olive oil)
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 carrots, chopped (I julienned a few baby carrots and then cut then smaller)
1 cup quinoa
2 cups vegetable broth (I used chicken broth)
2/3 cup chopped walnuts (I omitted these - not a lot of nut fans in my house and I didn't have any on hand)
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

Heat oil in pan and add onion. Cook for 5 minutes or until translucent. Add carrot and cook three minutes more. Stir in quinoa and broth, bringing to a boil. Reduce to simmer and cook 15 to 20 minutes or until quinoa is tender and fluffy. In a bowl, toss quinoa with walnuts and parsley. Serve hot or at room temperature.







* I did receive complimentary product for the purpose of a review. Opinions are my own.

Comments

Post a Comment