Veggie Skillet

I've been out to eat a few times lately for breakfast or lunch and my go-to menu item as of late is a skillet. I love all the flavors combined in one satisfying meal. Usually, I get one with meat and get scrambled eggs on top. At a work luncheon lately, the girl next to me ordered a veggie skillet and I kind of had diner's remorse. I'd ordered  a hobo skillet, loaded with bacon, sausage and onions, but her skillet with peppers and broccoli and other colorful veggies looked wonderful.


So, I decided I'd throw together a veggie skillet to go with dinner. Because so many things are going into it, you only need small quantities of each ingredient and it's a perfect way to clean out the fridge - use that half of a pepper that's sitting in there or the last little bit of chives.

So, here's what I used:

2 Yukon gold potatoes, 2 baby reds and 2 purple potatoes from Trader Joe's Potato Medley, diced
1/4 of a red pepper
1/4 of a green pepper
1/4 of a yellow pepper
1/4 of a white onion
one stalk of green onion
1 head of broccoli
4 cremini mushrooms
6 grape tomatoes
(All ingredients should be finely diced)
Olive oil
Trader Joe's everyday seasoning
freshly ground pepper
Tastefully Simple's Garlic Garlic seasoning blend

Heat a skillet and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add diced potato and onions and seasonings to taste. Cover and heat about 12 - 15 minutes on medium heat, stirring occasionally until potatoes soften. Add remaining ingredients and a little more olive oil to pan. Cover, reduce heat to low and continue to heat about 15 more minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.

If desired, add meat, cheese, eggs. I used mine as a side dish with dinner and garnished with fresh dill and parsley, but I'm thinking one day soon I may put some of this together for breakfast for hubby and I while the kids are at school with some bacon and cheddar. :)



Comments