Birthday Lunch with Dad at Old Route 66 Family Restaurant

My dad recently celebrated his 83rd birthday, but yucky weather kept us from getting together for a couple weeks. We finally made it out and I asked him where he'd like to go for lunch. He picked our usual meeting spot, Old Route 66 Family Restaurant in Dwight, IL.

A couple years ago my parents moved down to central Illinois to live with my sister. I really missed our lunch dates - which had been pretty frequent. I saw dad at least 2 or 3 times a week when he lived in the area. Now I try to get together and meet him for lunch once a month. Dwight is about the half-way point for us. 

Old Route 66 Family Restaurant is located just off of the expressway exit, so it's easily accessible and they have a large menu of typical diner food. Dad often just gets soup, but there's a lot to choose from. This time I had a jumbo pork tenderloin sandwich, which was quite good. I still have to try their fried chicken one of these days - I've read rave reviews about it.


If you're headed down I-55 and need a bite, this family restaurant is a nice, cozy place with friendly people and good food where you'll find something on the menu for everyone.



Be sure to also stop across the street at the Route 66 visitor center, which is located in a historic filling station on the original Route 66.










Comments