Captain's House

I was recently writing an article for the Northwest Indiana Times about the Savor the South Shore Restaurant Weeks, which run through March 3. When I talked to area foodies about their favorite places, everyone I talked to recommended Captain's House. It has been on my foodie bucket list for a very long time and as a new year's resolution, I vowed to cross at least one place off my list each month.

I mentioned the place as a lunch destination to hubby, who is usually adventurous when it comes to dining out, and he was game - but when I mentioned that Captain's House is also around the corner from 18th Street Brewery, that sealed the deal. The restaurant is located in Gary's Miller neighborhood.



When we first arrived the two ladies seated at the next table were just getting their food. I couldn't help but ask if I could snap a pic. They were very friendly and happy to show off their plates. The Salmon Wellington is one of the dinner offerings for restaurant weeks. 



Her dining companion ordered meatloaf.



So, Captain's House is known for their lobster rolls. They have a long list of ethnic and regional versions with different toppings. I had a classic lobster roll and it was amazing!!!



I'm a big salad fan and this was one of the best salads I've ever had - with beets, goat cheese fritters, pecans, mixed greens and croutons. I got the house-made buttermilk dressing. By the way - this is one salad. I told our server we wanted to split it and we got two huge plates each with our own dressing.



So, back to that lobster roll. It was pretty amazing and during Savor the south Shore Restaurant Weeks, you can get it for $15, which includes chips (or an upgrade to fries for $2 more), a pickle, deli salad (today it was potato salad), a butter cookie (iced and shaped like a fish) and we got to choose a dessert - from gelato, cakes, bread puddings and additional options.



Hubby got the surf and turf burger - a prime rib burger with portobello mushroom, sautéed onions and lobster salad on a brioche bun. He opted for the fries - which were so good with a slightly crunchy and lightly seasoned outside. 





The place is adorable - it's in an old house with little nooks and cozy tables, only about a dozen in all.





When I spoke with the owner/chef, Angela, she told me that there are some franchise plans in the works, so in the near future you'll be able to try some of their specialties at locations in NWI, Chicago and possibly SW Michigan. How exciting!



This week is a great time to get in and try it out while Savor the South Shore Restaurant Weeks continue. For the special menu, click here.

I can't wait to get back there again soon. They also serve breakfast and in perusing the menu, there were so many things that caught my eye.

And just an FYI for all the Chicago foodies - if you take the South Shore train from Millennium Station to Miller, you'll be just steps away from the restaurant.

Captain's House
6004 Miller Ave.
Gary, IN
219-239-2639


Comments