Chicken and Somen Noodle Soup

I make a lot of pots of soup in the winter months. And many times I watch my boys pick through the bowl to eat the meat and noodles and pass up the vegetables. So, last week I decided I would make some without the veggies. Each time we go to a Japanese steakhouse and they get the little bowl of broth with a few thin noodles in it, they love it. So, that's kind of what I was going for here - but with way more noodles. And I added some chicken to make it a little more filling.

Here's what you need:

6 bouillon cubes
10 cups water
pre-cooked diced chicken
Japanese somen noodles
one stalk of green onions, chopped
optional: black pepper, oregano, ground ginger

Boil bouillon cubes in water until dissolved. The noodles I used came wrapped with a little ribbon. Not quite sure how much each bundle is, but I used 3 bundles. I probably could have used 2 because there was very little broth left when I was done. Once water is boiling, add your noodles and black pepper or any spices you'd like to add. Boil for 3 minutes. Add cooked chicken, turn off burner, add a lid and let it sit for about 3 or 4 minutes. Garnish with green onions.


If you have trouble finding these noodles, I ordered these on Amazon. I don't have any Asian markets near me, so I order online and they are pretty reasonably priced. This big bag will make a lot of noodles! 

This was a hit with the kids. One of the boys told me I didn't even need to add the chicken - that he liked it better without it.






Comments