Portillo's

I happen to end up at Portillo's just after Christmas in a round-about kind of way. I had some gift cards that were given to my husband for Chick-Fil-A at a First Responder Appreciation Event at SkyZone. I noticed that they were going to expire on December 31, so we drove about 25 minutes out to Merrillville all ready for some chicken sandwiches -- totally oblivious that it was Sunday, the day of the week that the chain closes. 

So, we sought out somewhere else nearby to eat. I didn't want quick fast food. I wanted to sit down and eat it at a table - not in the car. Portillo's was just down the street and I realized that I had never dined in a Portillo's. The handful of stops I've made there have been to pick up food at the drive thru. So, in we went. It was very busy and took me a few minutes to figure out the flow of where to go. The boys grabbed the only empty table we could find and I ordered the food. By then I was hangry and it took a little bit for our order to be filled with the big crowd. But, once it was done, my beef was worth the wait. I think I had once over a decade ago tried some of their beef at a party, but the other visits were for hot dogs or burgers. I like the hot dogs and the beef was impressive.


I'm not the only one who thinks so. Portillo's was recently named Best Fast Casual restaurant in the county by TripAdvisor.

I love that a local place that started in the Chicago area and now people across the country are still enjoying food from this chain that originated in 1963. For more info, visit portillo's.com.










Comments