Lincoln Carry Outs: Hobart, IN

If you've followed this page for a long time, you might know that my favorite sandwich shop ever is one that I started going to as a teenager in the late 1980s in Calumet City, Illinois. It was called Lincoln's. It originally started in Gary and there were later several more locations. Calumet City was one and they later moved that location to downtown Highland, Indiana. That location closed several years ago and I've been craving their sandwiches since then.

I was so excited to learn that there was a Lincoln's in Hobart. It's not completely the same menu as it was in Highland, but pretty close. They use the same bread and have the same pies and use most of the same ingredients. Many of the sandwiches are ones I remember from my teenage years that I loved, like the Bunny Girl, Steelworker Special (I think it was called the US Steel at the Highland location) and the Lincoln Burger. It was like stepping back in time in such a wonderful way.



My favorite Lincoln's sandwich was the Calumet City special with turkey, ham, bacon, cheese, lettuce, tomato and mayonnaise on toasted French bread. The Hobart location didn't have it, but when I described it, they were able to take a club sandwich and alter it for me to make it into the sandwich I had loved since childhood. It was so good. 

If you happen to be someone who remembers the Lincoln's in Calumet City or Gary and is longing for one of those sandwiches of long ago, you'll be happy to know that they still exist. Stop by the Hobart location for the perfect sub.

P.S. Next week they'll have their corned beef sandwiches on special for half off from March 13-17 in celebration of St. Patrick's Day.

Lincoln Carry Outs
1002 Lincoln St.
Hobart
219-942-2113






Comments