Captain Nemo's in Chicago's Lakeview Neighborhood

This past week Wrigley Field turned 100 years old! Ok, it might night mean much to the foodie's out there, but to a die-hard Cubs fan like me, it's a big deal. No, it's a huge deal. Actually it's a once-in-a-lifetime deal. And on Wednesday, the official 100 mark since the first baseball game played at Wrigley, my dad, son and I attended the game. It was so great to do a three-generations trip to the Friendly Confines with a cool pre-game ceremony featuring some of the greatest players to ever be part of the Cubs organization.

I'm a frequent visitor to Wrigley Field thanks to my sister's season tickets. We have our routine pretty much set. On game day, we get to the Starbuck's lot about a half hour before game time, park, walk across to the gate and get into our seats and enjoy the game. Well, I neglected to realize that it was a big day to lots of other Cubs fans and although we got into Wrigleyville close to two hours before game time, our usual parking lot was full. I dropped Dad at the gate so he could go in and wouldn't have to walk far. Then my 9-year-old and I drove around for an hour looking for a parking spot. I found one close, but she wanted $65 and for us to leave our keys. Um…nope, I don't think so. So, we drove on and on and on and on. Finally, as I drove down Ashland, I noticed a sign at Capt'n Nemo's that said "Cubs Parking - $20." We parked and walked nearly the mile down Waveland and into the park.

Afterwards I knew there was no way Dad would be able to make the walk back, so I grabbed one of the Rickshaws that wait outside the gate by the player's lot on Waveland by the firehouse. I've always wanted to take a ride on one, but since we usually were parked close I never had the reason before.

Our kind Serbian peddler took us back to Ashland for $10 and saved us the trek. We decided to go in to Capt'n Nemos for a Pepsi before heading home, but once we got inside and I looked over the menu, I got hungry. I got a combo with a half sandwich and a cup of minestrone soup with a drink. The sandwich was a cold roast beef with provolone. I loved the crunchy bread and the way it was piled high. It was a great classic deli sandwich. And if I ever find myself looking desperately for parking again, that's where I'm headed for a parking spot and a sandwich. :) I might even have to drive a tad out of my way for a sandwich next time I'm going to a game. It was worth heading out of the way for. There are also locations in Winnetka and Rogers Park.

Oh, and the soup was fantastic. And there are some really cute booth decorations there. Scroll down to see some of the fun characters painted on the seating spots!












This one's my favorite. :)




Capt'n Nemo's
3650 N. Ashland
Chicago, IL
773-929-7687
www.capnemos.com

Comments