Deviled Eggs with Mom's secret ingredient

I'm a big fan of deviled eggs. They're really pretty simple to make. I've had them with a variety of ingredients, but in reality all you need is some eggs, mayo and mustard and you're good to go. You can add other items to enhance the flavor - hot sauces, spices, vinegar, wine, bacon bits. This time I kept it simple, but used my mom's secret ingredient in a batch. Mom's deviled eggs were the best and that unique taste came from PICKLE JUICE! It adds a little bit of a sour taste that I love.

I have to admit I get lazy on making deviled eggs and I apologize for the presentation. I made this batch to use up boiled eggs from Easter and I knew my family would have them inhaled in a matter of minutes so it didn't make sense to spend an hour smoothing the filling and piping it in into pretty flower-like arrangements. My husband and kids scarf them down usually before I can even think about taking a picture. And really, I prefer the yolks to be a little bit chunky. So, that's how I make them. I mash them slightly with a fork.

6 hard boiled eggs, peeled and halved with yolks removed
About 1/2 cup of mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon of yellow mustard
1 tsp spicy yellow mustard (here's where I get my favorite)
1 tsp pickle juice (I used juice from Claussen sandwich slices)
Hungarian paprika

Mash yolks with a fork. Add mayo and mustards. Blend well. Add pickle juice and stir. Fill a scoop into each egg white half. Sprinkle with paprika.



Comments